Wednesday 25 January 2012

December Journal Quilt Lily white boys

This is my December Journal Quilt. There is a hawthorn tree across the valley on the dog walking route which had a lovely bunch of mistletoe on it. I managed to get a piece to put in the house for Christmas. I love mistletoe and was struck by the vibrant green of the leaves and branches and the contrast of the translucent shiny white berries. They reminded me of some old pearl buttons which was lucky as somehow I had to get at least one button in this piece to fulfill the brief. I used commercial and hand dyed fabrics for the fused background and the mistletoe shapes were freely cut and then stitched in straight lines with embellishments of one pearl button and some old pearl beads- must be the first time I've ever used beads! Lily white boys are sometimes explained as holly and mistletoe in the song " Green grow the rushes oh!"

No comments:

Post a Comment